Monday, September 30, 2013

Not a King James fan

This is King James I. He sponsored the translation of the Bible into English. It was the third translation to get the seal of approval from the English church authorities, and was completed in 1611.

It seems to be the translation-of-choice for Southern Baptists everywhere. And I have a problem with that.

First of all, it is my opinion that it was used extensively years and years ago because of the Old English verbiage used. I think it made scholars and theologians feel more educated and official with all of the "thees" and "thous". As language changed, the theological grip on this translation seems to have tightened. "It just sounds so beautiful." I disagree. I think it just sounds confusing and overly formal, in a 17th century way.

While King James meant well (his intention was to translate original text word-for-word and provide one correct copy of the Bible for everyone), it turns out that it was not the most literal translation. For that, you would need the New American Standard Bible (NASB). Scholars worldwide agree that this is the most literal translation of the original text, and my Bible of choice.

So why don't preachers everywhere use it? I am not sure. I think it's because they were raised on the KJV, and hold fast to tradition and sentimentality. It's full of what I would call "Biblespeak" and immediately alienates any non Christian visitors who may be listening. Not good. Remember, Jesus spoke in parables so the common people could understand his lessons. Do you remember that the scholars were the ones who didn't know what Jesus was talking about, but the poor and rejected understood immediately?

Secondly, I think that Christians honestly believe that this is the most accurate translation, simply because it has been around for so long. Again, I sigh. Ignorance is NOT bliss.

Evangelical Christians are becoming more and more "exclusive" rather than "inclusive", and I think the use of KJV is the foundation and physical proof of that. It makes us seem more like Pharisees than disciples of Jesus. They sought to reach everyone, where they stood. They met the people where they were. They didn't demand that the people come to them. That was what the priests and scholars that we so widely eschew in Sunday School class did. And we are becoming just like them.

Hmmm. Foodest for thoughtest for thou.

No comments: