Monday, September 23, 2013

Homecoming Ain't What It Used to Be.

When I was in high school, (granted that was many, many years ago) the homecoming dance was just another dance on a Friday night, after the game. There were no dresses, schedules for pics beforehand, or dinner. You went to the football game, and then you went to the dance. In your jeans and tennis shoes. And danced. And had a GREAT time. If you had on a dress, you were probably a member of the homecoming court, and you changed right after halftime.

There were, however, flowers. On the Friday of the game, members of a club that sold the mums (like the Interact Club, Spirit Club, or some such) delivered the mums during school. It was always a big deal to get one, because they were bought for the girls by their boyfriends. As the day went on, more and more girls walked the halls wearing the mums. Looking back, I guess if you didn't get one, you were a bit of a pariah. Did the girls wear the mums to the dance? Of course! With their jeans and, if it was cool enough outside, monogrammed sweaters. The mums were a jumbled mess by the end of the night.

These days, however, the homecoming dance has morphed into quite the event. It is held on the Saturday following the game, so there is plenty of time for a hair and nail appointment (let's say $50). There are flowers to be ordered, and I don't mean the mums of yesteryear. I am talking prom-worthy flowers. Wrist corsages and tussie-mussies are popular today. About $45-$60 from a florist.

Bur first, weeks before, my son tells me that he is going with a group of friends to the mall to shop for homecoming. The conversation:

Me: I didn't know you could buy a homecoming at the mall. Retail sure has changed.
Them: Mom, seriously, we need a tie for homecoming to match blah, blah's dress.
Me: Really? Out of the 500 ties and bowties currently residing in upstairs closets, you have nothing?
Them: She is taking her dress so I can match it perfectly.
Me: We have a bowtie that exact color.
Them: I don't want to wear a bowtie. I want to wear a tie.
Me: Okay, here is some money.
Them: comes back with a bowtie

And dresses. My good Nancy, the dresses. A new purchase is always preferable to wearing a dress from another event, or borrowing from someone who has already graduated. Popular now is a short, A-line dress with flounces. They are very cute and flattering to just about everyone. After a quick online search, I see that you can get these dresses for as little as $100, or as much as $350 (that is from a bridal or specialty shop). And don't forget shoes, earrings, and bracelet (let's say $50, and that is very conservative).

Dinner. Many of the couples went out to dinner. Some had parents who cooked for them, and that seems to me to be preferable and much more relaxing. However, if you have to tack on dinner at a restaurant, I'd add another $50. And of course a drive to Huntsville, because nothing in Arab is suitable.

When I asked my boys (have I thanked God yet in this article that I have boys?) what time they were leaving, they told me 4ish. The conversation:

Me: 4ish? Da heck! the dance is at 7pm!
Them: Mom, we have to get pictures made, then we have to eat, then we go to the dance.
Me: Where are you getting pics made?
Them: At blah, blah, blah's aunt's grandmother's best friend's house with a beautiful yard. The girl works that out. She just told me to pick her up at 4.
Me: eye roll

So, the homecoming dance happens. Everyone posts pics on facebook, which are fun to browse. Memories are made. What used to be $20 (for the mum) is now in the over-a-hundred-dollars per couple.

What do I remember about my homecoming? Absolutely nothing. Not one thing. Not one memory. I can even look back at photos and think, "I don't even remember that." I'm not saying that it's not worth it. I'm just saying that homecoming ain't what is used to be.

No comments: