Monday, August 26, 2013

A New Chapter, indeed.

I love this picture. It is so true. Each new chapter in our lives brings us back to mile marker zero.

One of my favorite movies is "Steel Magnolias". In my mind, the movie is two distinct pieces: Before wedding and after wedding. The wedding is the climax, and everything after that is ... well, doesn't really feel a part of the same movie. Do you know what I mean?

Annelle is engaged to Sammy, Clairee buys the local radio station and becomes the color announcer for football, and Shelby comes back home for a visit around Christmas. It just takes on a whole different feel. Before and after.

That is just like life. There are many, many "before and afters". Before and after marriage. Before and after kids. Before and after kids start school. I am now entering the "before and after high school graduation". Granted, since my oldest didn't move away from home, I don't feel the transition quite as keenly as some of my friends, but I feel it just the same.

At the same time, my friend is moving hours away as her husband takes a new job. Before and After AFBC. Again, this won't affect me nearly as much as it affects her. I don't have to pack boxes, decorate a new house, make new friends and learn my way around a new town. But I will still feel the impact as this new season in our friendship begins.

It is one more mile marker zero.

No comments: