Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Race, race, race

Goodness! I am SICK UNTO DEATH of hearing about race! Sick of it!

Paula Deen said the "N" word years ago, but no longer uses it. She is not allowed to use it, of course, because she is white. White people can't say it. But black people can, and do, use it with gusto. I guess that's one of the many perks of Martin Luther King Jr's hard work and early death. He would be so proud of "his people".

Let me tell you something: anyone, Southern or otherwise, with a brother named "Bubba" has used the "n" word, regardless of where they live. I can almost guarantee it. Paula is no exception.

I watched a few YouTube videos from blacks explaining why blacks can use the word but white people can't. Here are the reasons I glean from watching:

  • Blacks are the victims, so they can say what they want to say
  • The history of the word is soaked in oppressive connotation
  • Only low class blacks use it
  • Why do white people want to use it?
  • Chris Rock tells it like it is. But he can. He's black.
And that brings me to my next point. He is BLACK. He is not African American. Barack Obama is African American because his mother is American and his father is African. That makes him an African American. If you were born in Detroit to parents born in Detroit, you are a straight-up American. You are not African American just because you have more melanin in your skin than white people. I am white. I am not peach, ecru or European-American. That would make it sound like there are no black Europeans, which there are. There are also white Africans.

Racism seems to be a bigger problem on the side of blacks than whites. I recently posted a graphic on my Facebook page that said “When is White History Month?” among other things. A black friend of mine posted, “Turns out, it’s every month.” That is the way he feels. Like blacks get one month, and whites get every other month. I didn’t want to offend him, so I didn’t reply to his post, but it bothers me. Why does he feel this way?

I watch television and commercials and see blacks as much as whites as much as Asians as much as Hispanics. Am I kidding myself? There is a Black Entertainment Television (BET), but no White Entertainment Television. Is that because all of the TV shows not on BET are inherently white? Miss Black America cannot be white, but can’t Miss America be black?

I will tell you, not allowing people to sit where they want, eat where they want, use the bathroom, water fountain, swimming pool, etc. they wanted was wrong. Very, very wrong. Making anyone feel less than an equal human being based solely on the way they look is nothing but wrong. There is no excuse for it other than just plain ignorance for some and meanness for others. Beating, torturing, and killing for the same reason … there is no excuse whatsoever.

But that’s in the past. What about Rodney King, you say? He was a victim of police brutality simply because of the color of his skin. Let me tell you something: Rodney King was a thug. He was driving drunk, speeding and initiated a high-speed chase on an LA Freeway. If I were a police officer, seeing three drunk, full-grown men in a car trying to outrun me, when I get them stopped, I am going to be high on adrenaline and ready for anything that comes. Tasers didn’t put King down…he kept getting up and ignoring police instructions. Let me tell you something. If a police officer tells you to get on the ground, lay your tail on the ground and stay there. King is lucky that they didn’t shoot him.

He became a martyr for blacks all over against “the white man”. What was he to this white woman? A thug. Rodney King pulling over quietly, placing his hands on the steering wheel and obeying police instructions would have ended differently, regardless of the color of his skin. He was beaten because he was a threat to officers, plain and simple. By the way, he was awarded $3.8 million by the city. People went nuts when the officers were acquitted. Here is what happened then:


It was the policeman's fault? Get real.

Do I want to say the “N” word? Not really. Do I want to be able to? Absolutely! You don’t tell me that I can’t do something simply because of the color of my skin. Oh! Wait! Look at what the black man is doing! He is telling me that I can’t use it because I’m white! What’s next? Will I have to sit at the back of the bus? Go into a separate entrance? Will my vote be taken away? See how ridiculous that sounds? Of course this is not going to happen. And you know what? I am going to say the “N” word if I want to. Just like every other word in the dictionary. If it’s a word, I am free to use it, to anyone listening. And you can’t stop me. Part of living in a free country.

Back to today. If there is anyone in the United States who deserves a holiday, memorial, month in their honor, Miss So-and-so America crown, let me tell you who it is: The American Indian. They were wronged in their own land. They were robbed of their birthrights. They were marched until they died. They are separated today on reservations, apart from the rest of society. Why? Because we wanted what they had and we took it. What do they have? A memorial motorcycle ride. Life on the reservation:


It all just makes me mad. I think going out and buying every Paula Deen cookbook will make me feel much, much better.

No comments: